A quick-thinking 5-year-old boy had to play grown-up this week, rescuing his mom and dad who had overdosed on heroin, according to reports.
The boy walked two blocks, barefoot, to his step-grandfather’s house in Middletown, Ohio, around 5 a.m. Thursday, knocked on the door and told him that his parents were dead, WLWT reported.
“When I walked up the steps and seen him laying in the bathroom floor and her in the hallway, I immediately called 911 because I knew what was up,” step-grandfather Kenneth Currey told WLWT.
While talking to the 911 dispatchers, Currey tried to comfort the young boy and his 3-month-old sister, who was still in the car outside, strapped in her car seat.
When cops arrived, they found Lee Johnson and Chelsie Marshall lying unconscious on the floor, the station reported.
Johnson was given Narcan, woke up soon afterward and admitted that he had used heroin, the station reported. He was handcuffed and put in the back of a police cruiser.
Marshall needed to be taken to a hospital to be revived, according to the station. She received a total of 14 Narcan doses.
Police found some white residue on a chair in the home, which is being taken to a lab for further testing.
Both parents face two charges of endangering children and one count of disorderly conduct with heroin.
The children were brought to the Middletown Police Department, where the boy received a badge for his bravery. They were later taken to live with other family members.
“I’m very proud of the boy, very proud of him, but it’s just, tragedy,” Currey told the station.
Middletown Police Chief Rodney Muterspaw said the situation could have ended far worse.
“Parents, wake up,” he said. “People that are doing this, you’re not just hurting you, you’re hurting your families and your kids. I mean, this could’ve turned out really bad for two children that don’t deserve it.”